Re: Personal Edition

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 20:11:33 +0200

Peter Morris wrote:
> Is it possible to run Oracle 8i Personal Edition on
> Windows XP(pro) ?
>
> I've tried clicking the install icon and get no result at all.
> Nothing happens. No error messages or anything.
>
> Other programs that don't work on XP produce an error
> message when I try to install them, or appear to install
> but don't run. I would expect something similar from Oracle.
> But I get no result at all.
>
> Is this a problem with my computer, or with XP itself?

The intel P4 is incompatible with the Symantec Java Just-in-time compiler (jit) dll.
Search google for Oracle 8i P4, and you should get many references as how to resolved this issue.

One option is to leave this version (to be desupported), and go for 9i. 9i does not have the above issue.

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel