Re: firewall for Oracle 9i ?

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 19:21:34 +0200

Kamran Remin wrote:
> "Frank" <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>

>>Kamran Remin wrote:
>>
>>>Hi NG,
>>>
>>>does anybody know, if there is something like an Application Level
>>

> Gateway /
>
>>>Proxy that can be used with Oracle 9i?
>>>
>>>I would like to have two Oracle Servers that have a Proxy or something
>>

> like
>
>>>that between them. I Think the Oracle 9i AS is not the right thing for
>>

> such
>
>>>a situation, right?
>>>

>>You are not very clear: "a Proxy or something like that". What would be
>>the purpose?
>>
>>All I can guess is Application Interconnect (OAI).
>>--
>>Regards, Frank van Bortel
>>

> Hi Frank,
>
> i try to explain it more clearly:
>
> I need a Application Proxy that works with Oracle. Searching the Internat i
> found out so far, that Oracle sells the sourcecode for an "Oracle Proxy" to
> companys that buil firewalls (Cisco/PIX, SUN/Netscreen, etc.) so they can
> implement it in their firewalls.
> But then i have read that there is a problem when using the Oracle Databsae
> is configured as a multi-threaded one, because tehy are using random ports
> to talk back to the client. With Oracle databases that are installed as
> dedicated one, there seems to less / no problems, because they seem to just
> talk over one port. There is for example the Zorp Firewall/Proxy (runs on
> Linux/Unix) that supports fully SQLNET8, but only when you are NOT using
> SQLNET8 with random port assignment.
> Then i found that there is something called "Oracle Connection Manager"
> (OCM) . First i thougt, that the OCM is a piece of software you install on
> an extra server and that the OCM acts like a Proxy/Firewall. But after
> reading this:
> http://storacle.princeton.edu:9001/oracle8-doc/network.805/a58230/ch7.htm ,
> i think that it is just an extra feature of the Oracle 8i/9i Enterprise
> Edition. Under the point 7.1.1 in the mentioned document, there is the
> following sentence:
>
> "Oracle Connection Manager enables you to take advantage of Net8's ability
> to multiplex or funnel multiple logical client sessions through a single
> transport connection to a multi-threaded server destination."
>
> Does this mean that i could use one Oracle DB with the OCM installed on it
> and give the traffic to the Zorp Proxy (which can check all the traffic up
> to the Application Level) and then pass the traffic to the second Oracle DB
> that runs multi-threaded?
>
> Hope you understood what i wrote?
>
> Regards,
> Kamran Remin

A proxy server is a program or device that filters and/or caches internet content.
The problems you describe have to do with firewalls. A firewall is a program/device that blocks or lets pass traffic on defined ports. Some firewalls actually understand the kind of traffic, and pass this, no matter what port. For SQL*Net, this is called an SQL*Net aware firewall. Zorp seems to fall in that category.

Another option would be to use shared_socket (works on Unix, broken on 8iR3 (8.1.7) for Windows...
Should work again for 9i - haven't beeable to test. Or connection manager (as you have found out), or use MTS for several predefined ports.

I still do not see why you want a second database to run - is this about having traffic from one db to another over a firewall? If so, take a look at the http-adapter (part of InterConnect)

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel