Re: Are package bodies encrypted?

From: Thomas T <T_at_T>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 15:48:34 -0400

"Ed Prochak" <edprochak_at_adelphia.net> wrote in message news:3E9712D6.7060803_at_adelphia.net...
> Thomas T wrote:
> > Just starting to experiment with packages... and was looking at the few
> > Oracle packages in my Oracle 8.1.7 test server. Are the package bodies
> > encrypted? I can see the Package Spec for DBMS_ALERT, but when I click
on
> > the Package Body for DBMS_ALERT, it seems to be encrypted?
> >
> > I'm guessing encryption because if I look at the HTP package spec and
body,
> > I can see all the procedures and functions.
> >
> > Were they encrypted using the DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT? If so, can I
> > decrypt them back to see what's in there?
> >
> > Or are these not encrypted, but compiled, and I won't be able to see my
own
> > source code? I'd hate to define a package spec and package body, and
then
> > not be able to look at the code for my procedures. Seems strange that
most
> > of these built-in packages have hidden bodies, and the rest are visible.
> > tried a web search, but either nobody's asked this question yet, or I
can't
> > find the proper phrase to search for.
> >
> > I think it's about time I go pick up the Oracle 9i PL/SQL Programming
book;
> > hopefully it's more advanced then the PL/SQL v2.2 book I have (written
in
> > 1995 for Oracle 7)! The book only has 16 pages of coverage. Or, is
there
> > another book that explains more of the PL/SQL and package details...
like,
> > maybe a book designed for the OCP exams? (There's nothing I hate more
than
> > buying a book, only to find out that I know half of it, and of the other
> > half, 1/3 contains topics that I'd never use.)
> >
> > One more question; can I migrate existing procedures into a package? Or
do
> > I just copy the code into a new package body, and then delete the
original
> > stand-alone procedure?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > -Thomas
> >

> Any PL/SQL code that you compile will be viewable in the user-source
table.

> And I've thought that the ORACLE manuals were the best resource. You can
view
> them online.
>
> Your procedure for migrating procedures into a package seems fine. Just be
> aware that to invoke the procedure in the package will require the package
> name. so any procedures that you migrate, will require modifying
procedures
> and/or programs that invoke those procedures.
>
> IOW, the old
> myprocedure(*)
> will become
> mynewpackage.myprocedure(*)
> Calling code changes required accordingly.
>
> HTH
> --
> Ed Prochak
> running http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/
> netiquette http://www.psg.com/emily.html
> --
> "Two roads diverged in a wood and I
> I took the one less travelled by
> and that has made all the difference."
> robert frost

Ed, thanks for the info! I know about the online manuals, but I prefer paper... guess it's because way back when, there was no internet or cdroms, and software came with big books instead of a big empty box, and CocaCola Classic was just "Coca Cola", and I had three dual-density floppy drives on my 8088, one with a "utilties" 5 1/4 that held ANSI.SYS and LIST.EXE and BASICA.COM and ... oh, for the old days... where are those 360K disks, anyway? [nostalgia mode off] But if they're the best, I guess I'll give it a go. Maybe I'll just find the chapters I need, and send 'em to the high speed laser. Is the "Oracle 9i PL/SQL Programming" book any good, or just an absolute beginner's guide (how to use conversion functions, how to use if/else/endif, etc)?

Glad to hear I'll still be able to view my PL/SQL statements. What's the deal then, with the "encoded" package bodies? How did they get that way?

Luckily I'd be doing this to developed-today procedures, so I don't have to change any existing code for the new package naming.

Thanks,

-Thomas Received on Fri Apr 11 2003 - 14:48:34 CDT