Re: Oracle and ASP Error

From: Thomas T <T_at_T>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 21:12:16 -0400

"Jay" <jerry280_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:QEkla.526$Aa.89968_at_news.uswest.net...
> "Thomas T" <T_at_T> wrote in message news:3e95a2e9$1_at_rutgers.edu...
> > "Jay" <jerry280_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Jim,
> > >
> > > The DBA looked this up in his Oracle book and that's where we found
the
> > > details about it. The function was fully tested directly against the
> > > database before putting it in the application.
> > >
> > > What we've found to be the cause of our error is the amount of users
> > > accessing the application. At night when there are 7 - 10 users, there
> are
> > > no problems. During the day when the user count goes up, the problems
> > begin.
> > > Would this be due to the fact that Oracle is not installed on the web
> > > server?

> > Did you try the changes I mentioned in my reply, on
> > comp.database.oracle.misc? The changes I mentioned affect the amount of
> > resources used by your application; it seems like you're producing
extra
> > load on the web server.
> >
> > Is the Oracle server you're connecting to on a different subnet? Have
you
> > tuned your Oracle server to allow for enough concurrent sessions?
> >
> > -Thomas
> >
> Thomas,

> We did try your suggestion and you were right, it did improve the
> performance! We still had the error coming up though. We are going to try
> install the Oracle application on the web server and see what happens
there
> instead.
>

> I'll report back with the results (hopefully good!)

Jay, it shouldn't affect anything if the Oracle's installed on a separate server, unless there's something wrong with the network configuration of the Oracle. Make sure the number of concurrent sessions is high enough on your Oracle server. That's controlled by the "processes" parameter in your init[sid].ora file. (Example using "orcl" as the SID = initorcl.ora) Is TCP/IP installed properly on both boxes? We had a problem once where an identical server with an identical network card and identical driver wasn't "autodetecting" the speed of the connection properly, and was constantly switching between 10Mbit and 100Mbit. By forcing the card to stay at 100Mbit (instead of autodetect), the connection became stable. (We later forced the other card to 100Mbit as well.) If you run between two Windows 2000 boxes, you might want to create a second "private" network, similar to a cluster configuration, and using a crossover cable between the secondary network adapters... you'd use the private (10.10.10.x, x=1 to whatever, subnet 255.0.0.0) network space for that. This might work for other platforms, but I just have experience with this as regards Win2k server.

For instance, you'd configure a new second network card in your Oracle server for 10.10.10.1 (255.0.0.0 mask, no gateway). Add a second listener to the Oracle server, and have it listen to 10.10.10.1. (I wonder if you could just "add" an address to the primary listener?) Then, configure your second network card in your web server for address 10.10.10.2. Add a second service to the net config of the web server, and have it use 10.10.10.1 for it's oracle connection. I wonder how this would work with two gigabit cards! :) Connect both cards with a crossover cable, or, if you wire your own, wire one end for the 568B standard (usually found on both ends of a regular 'net cable), and the other end for the 568A standard. And of course, if this is Win2k, you can rename the adapters in the Network Connections area from something like "Networks-R-Us super gigabit card model 100000" to "Private Oracle Network"...

Glad to hear you saw a performance boost by getting rid of the connection object. It's only really useful if you'll be running multiple queries on a database, for example, through a VB application. But if all your IIS/ASP server-side scripts just return one recordset, you don't need a connection object.

How did you fix the original errors?

-Thomas Received on Thu Apr 10 2003 - 20:12:16 CDT