Re: Just a very simple question - ORA-01034

From: Edward J. Prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 17:07:39 GMT

cpchan wrote:
> The following problem is very simple for those experienced Oracle users :
>
> (1) Basic configuration : Oracle 8i running on SUN Solaris 9, my PC :
> Windows 98
> (2) I ran this command for backup an Oracle database's data records only :
>
> tar -cvf /dev/rmt/0 <the directory of the data record of the Oracle
> database>

Presumably on the SUN machine??

> (3) And then ran this command for restore :
>
> tar -xvf /dev/rmt/0 <the same directory>

Where? on the PC?

> (4) Then I tried to login the Oracle through the SQL Plus on my Windows 98
> machine and got the message : ORA-01034 : Oracle not available.

Did you install oracle on the PC? This isn't the way to move a database between machines. ORACLE is not like ACCESS. You don't just copy databases around by copying files!

> (5) Now, can you tell me how to start my Oracle 8i through SQL Plus (either
> Windows version or Telnet or on the UNIX machine directly )

Back to the question which machine is running ORACLE?

> (6) I think this command is very simple for those experienced ones but I
> need the answer now, please give me instructions, thanks.

Please say these are your personal machines (your actually have a SUN machine?). You cannot copy ORACLE databasees this way.

  If this is for work, talk to your DBA. Now!

  If you have no DBA at work, then have your boss give me a call.

  My company can provide a consultant to do this and then train you so that you eventually can maintain it.

--
Edward J. Prochak   --- Magic Interface, Ltd.
Ofc: 440-498-3700   --- 7295 Popham Place, Solon, OH 44139