Re: Are one row, one column tables "acceptable"?

From: Thomas T <T_at_T>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 14:33:20 -0400

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message news:3e93d44a$0$4860$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net...
> Its entirely harmless (though obviously requires sysdba connection) the
idea
> is purely to look at the one row, one column table dual whilst the
database
> is not mounted You could equally unmount the database. curiosity won't
kill
> you in this case - the reason for saying doing this on prod would be silly
> is that justifying downtime because ' I wanted to see what dual looks like
> before mounting the controlfile' is.
>

> --
> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBA
> Audit Commission UK

Niall, I just tried it... although I used svrmgrl instead of sqlplus. I thought I'd enter an infinite loop; I didn't expect to see one row of 4 columns! I think I need to do some studying of the dual table! I even did "desc dual"; never tried that before, either.

-Thomas Received on Wed Apr 09 2003 - 13:33:20 CDT