Re: Using Oracle Spatial

From: Thomas Gaines <Thomas.Gaines_at_noaa.gov>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 16:48:52 -0600

Laurel -

Have you examined the "Oracle Spatial User's Guide and Reference, Release 9.0.1", Oracle part number A88805-01? I'm assuming that you're running Oracle9i, obviously. If not, then this is the place to start.

I won't bother typing the entire Oracle Spatial manual here because I don't know what you've considered yet. But if you're interested in learning about "point in polygon", as my group here refers to it, then consider the function sdo_relate. Something like this should get you started:

select /* +ordered */ name from sde_user.ghcn_temp5 point, sde_user.baily2 poly
where sdo_relate(point.shape, poly.shape,

   'mask=anyinteract querytype=window layer_gtype=point') = 'TRUE' and poly.PRO_DESC like 'DRY STEPPES%';

Happy trails!

TG