Re: List grants?

From: Guido Konsolke <Guido.Konsolke_at_triaton.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 10:18:31 +0200

"Richard B. Kreckel" wrote...
> Hi there,

(snipped)
> Now comes my next problem: Suppose somebody wants to mimick the describe
> feature for tables/view from SqlPlus. This would be done by reading out
> user_tab_privs. However, I would like everybody to do this. Naturally,
> I tried a 'grant select on user_tab_columns to public;' which completed
> without errors. However, as a mere mortal, I still get an empty list
> when selecting from it. What's the reason?
>
> TIA
> -richy.

Hi Richard,

you went the wrong way. In *user*_tab_columns you will only see the columns of tables that *you* (the connected user) own. If the table is owned by another owner, he must grant select to you. Then you can see the columns in *all*_tab_columns.

hth,
Guido Received on Tue Apr 08 2003 - 03:18:31 CDT