Re: Oracle/Excel interface: what are the best choices?

From: Tim Marshall <tmarshal_at_morgan.ucs.mun.ca>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 17:25:36 -0230

Gabriel Gonzalez wrote:

> You may already know this, but if you fnid a tool you like, you can control
> "up to the field" by using views, rather than somehow getting the tool to

In addition to this, I'm not sure if Excel can go both ways in the way that Access can (ie, not only can it retreive information, but there is a very definite potential to be able to change data), you should create an Oracle user with Grant Select only to the views you wish. Make the password to this user simple as pie so your users can have relative freedom within the views you associate with the user. Then you don't have to worry at all about data changing, and this will make your users very very happy, from the novice to the power MS Office user.

--
Tim - http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~tmarshal/
 ^o<