Re: Are one row, one column tables "acceptable"?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 03:07:22 GMT

Ed Prochak wrote:

> ... And some how some day, someone will insert something into your one row
> table.

> then your system fails because your PL/SQL has lines like:

I agree that it can happen & did happened to me once with DUAL (what a pain). But the impact of it happening with DUAL and the impact here are two different things ... with DUAL, just about any portion of any application could get caught. Here it's just one app amd probably a few and very consistent areas.

So I'd rather see a 1x1, even with this kind of potential issue, especially if the results are used in a logon trigger. Fairly easy to detect, fairly easy to identify and very easy to fix. IMHO this would be much, much, much easier to find and fix than having a constant scattered throughout the code. And certainly the type of thing that I'd put into the periodically run data-consistency-check routines.

Even so, I'd be happier with Daniel's parameter table or a generic domain table than a 1x1. (And that still can be used with a logon trigger, etc.)

/Hans Received on Sun Apr 06 2003 - 22:07:22 CDT