Re: OCI sends duplicate TNS packet to Oracle server ?

From: Justin Cave <jocave_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 3 Apr 2003 15:09:54 -0800

"Srinivas B.S.S" <bsssrinivas_at_lycos.co.uk> wrote in message news:<3E8C8F5F.6040706_at_lycos.co.uk>...
> TurkBear wrote:
> > "Srinivas B.S.S" <bsssrinivas_at_lycos.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Will the 'Parser step' be carried out at server side or OCI side ?
> If the pre-parsed statement is available at OCI side, it can just send
> it with the correct value given to the bind variable. I am still unclear
> with the reason why a dummy packet is being sent. Any thoughts on this ?

What's probably going on at the client end is that the application is doing

The "dummy" packet you're seeing is likely the result of the prepare step, where the ODBC driver is unaware of what value is going to be assigned to the bind variable. The ODBC driver sends the statement to the database for parsing-- OCI doesn't do any parsing. When you do the execute after binding the bind variable, you're seeing the second packet.

If the application has an opportunity to reuse the same statement in the future, it shouldn't have to re-send the "dummy" packet. In other words, if the series of steps is

you'd see

Justin Cave Received on Thu Apr 03 2003 - 17:09:54 CST