Re: Oracle 9iAS problem

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 18:59:50 GMT

Martin Hopkins wrote:

> However runing the Oracle Application is very very slow!! We are advised the
> network speed of 10MB/sec is the reason and we require 100Mb/sec. As all
> other networks in the area are 10 MB/sec with 1000's of users I am spetical
> of the requirement to upgrade to 100MB/sec.

From what I've seen, there is a lot of communication between the various parts of the App Server, and especially back to the infrastructure. I agree that you would likely benefit from upgrading to 100Mb/sec network capability, but only the 9iAS servers. I dount if you would see any benefit (for this) in upgrading the end user's networking capability. You should almost be able to resolve this by upgrading the network cards on your servers and upgrading the switch/hub to which these connect.

Haven't tried this myself (yet), but you might be able to create a separate high speed network for the infra access, since (I believe) access to the infra database should only come from the app servers.

> The database was built with 500MB Datafiles and 100MB redo logs which seems
> very learge compared to our Oracle 8 database. Is this causing problems.

By itself, no. However the question implies you have lack of experience with large-ish databases, and you may not have installed or configured optimally (eg: properly accounted for disk or memory issues).

/Hans Received on Wed Apr 02 2003 - 12:59:50 CST