Re: Saving a constant into the Oracle schema?

From: Thomas <T_at_T>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 11:53:46 -0500

"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:rcij8vobd8blbne1bmi59rf9gmr80u7h14_at_4ax.com...
> On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 12:02:20 -0500, "Thomas" <T_at_T> wrote:
>
> >Hello; I'd like to save a constant value into the Oracle schema. The
value
> >gets changed mid-year, and isn't based on the date. Is there a way to
save
> >this value? I have programs into which I'm either hardcoding the value,
or
> >referencing the registry, or basing the value on something in the record.
> >Basically I'd like to do the following:
> >
> >Current- save the value "34J9" into the database.
> >This November- save the value "35J9" into the database
> >Next November- save the value "35K0" into the database
> >
> >Besides SQL*PLUS, I use VB6 w/ADO, VC++ 6 with OLE-DB 2.0, and IIS 5/ASP
> >with custom COM components.
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >-T
> >

> Just create a package with the constant declared in the package
> specification.
>

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Thanks! That's just what I was looking for! It never occurred to me to use a package; I had been looking at one-column/one-row tables, which seems like a waste to me. I have a few PL/SQL procedures; could I move them into a package without affecting the way the procedures are being called?

-Thomas Received on Wed Apr 02 2003 - 10:53:46 CST