Re: OT: Career Advancement Question.

From: Ryan <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 20:18:28 GMT

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3E83A0A9.81D7CAA3_at_exxesolutions.com...
> Craig Burtenshaw wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have some training dollars up for spending, but I'm not sure in which
> > direction I should look to train in.
> >
> > I am thinking either Java (J2EE) or ".NET".
> >
> > What is the general feel in this group for which way the market is going
> > go?
> > (I know it's an Oracle group, but surely ".NET" is in with a shot).
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
> > Craig.
>
> Ask this question in an Oracle group and the answer is J2EE.
>
> Ask this question in a Microsoft group and the answer is .NET.
>
> If you know, work with, or expect to work with Oracle study J2EE. If you
see
> yourself in a Windows only Microsoft only world study .NET.
>
> Asking questions in a usenet group like this is no way for you to make an
> intelligent decision.
>
> Daniel Morgan

if you monitor the job boards Im seeing more and more .net front ends with an Oracle backend.... BTW, Im decent in Java and can get a book to learn C#. Its really just a minor syntax different, then the IDE and the libraries. So just pick one or the other. Id go with Java for now since Oracle has thrown its money into its java tool and its far cheaper to use than many other development environments.

BTW, if you know Java programming why pay for J2EE training? You can learn that on your own... If there is a company throwing out the J2EE buzzword, dont take your classes their. Its a scam. J2EE is just an enhancement to the standard Java. From what Ive seen its got alot of nifty features, but you can learn what you need on your own. Your just going to want to learn Object Oriented programming, and some of the java frameworks(Swing, Collections...) etc. Rest you can do yourself.

One more tip. Your training dollars are probably better spent and a tough Computer Science program at a local university. Even if it uses C/C++, the class will be FAR more rigorous than one of these expensive training companies that holds your hands. Take 2-3 Computer science classes their and you have training money left over for other stuff. Then get the books and learn the environments. You will learn more and your dollars will go farther. Just call the department and ask for the hardest teacher there. Trust me. I learned far more just taking some junior college Computer Science classes than I would from one of those expensive private places that charge insane amounts of money. Received on Tue Apr 01 2003 - 14:18:28 CST