Re: Stored Proc for CLOB to recordset of varchar2(4000)

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 10:41:02 -0800

Caroline wrote:

> If this is simple please forgive me.
>
> With the oracle and connection which has been installed for my
> website, I am unable to obtain a CLOB from the database. Therefore the
> solution is creating a stored procedure which gets the CLOB and
> converts it into a recordset of chucks of varchar2(4000).
>
> My knowledge of stored procs is souly based on sql server. So how can
> this be done in Oracle.
>
> Also is there a reference for stored procedures for oracle?
>
> Very very grateful
>
> Caroline

I see no reason why you can not return a CLOB. But there is a huge amount of information missing from your post required for anyone to help you.

  1. Version and edition of Oracle
  2. Front-end
  3. What is the connection to the database

The similarities between Oracle and SQL Server are superficial. Go to http://tahiti.oracle.com and search the concepts and architecture docs as well as those related to CLOB.

BTW: VARCHAR2 is 32K not 4K when talking about variables rather than data types.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Mar 31 2003 - 12:41:02 CST