Re: install oracle 9i on linux w/o xwiindow

From: Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com>
Date: 30 Mar 2003 22:30:27 +1000

Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> writes:

> On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 19:01:35 +0800, "hdu" <hdu_at_hdu.org> wrote:
>
> >Just make sure I didn't misunderstood here.
> >
> >I need to have XWindow ^^running^^ on the machine I am going to install
> >Oracle client or server. Even if I have XWindow installed is not enough for
> >installation of Oracle.
>

> Sigh!!! YES
>
> And when did humans stop reading from top to bottom?

Just to clarify for the OP. You don't have to install X windows on the server you are installing Oracle on. However, you DO have to have an X server somewhere on your network which programs like the universal installer can use. If the X server is not on the server you are installing Oracle on, you need to set the DISPLAY variable to point to the host where you do have X window server available.

It is common for installations on headless servers to use either a windows based client running one f the X servers you can get for windows or to use a linux system with X windows installed.

If you use this approach, make sure you can run X apps on your server using your remote X server before trying to do the install. Try running some small X application on the box which will become the Oracle server like xclock. Once you can get this to run, you can then run the installer or forms/reports (which also need an X server somewhere).

The oracle documentation does set all this out. One thing they suggest which I disagree with is using the xhost command to provide access to the remote X server. While this is the easiest way to provide access to an X server, it is also the most insecure because it is a host based access method rather than a user based access method (i.e. it will give access to anyone on the host you add via xhost).

I've found the easiest way to handle all of this is to use ssh with X11 forwarding enabled - the sshd daemon will setup secure user based access control via Xauthority - al you have to do is login from your system running the X server via ssh and as long as you have X11 forwarding enabled, you should just be able to run X based apps - including the oracle installer. Note that if you use this method, don't set the DISPLAY variable - ssh will take care of all of that for you.

Tim

--
Tim Cross