Connecting to Oracle from Seagate (W2000)

From: Mark Tait <mark.tait_at_capgemini.co.uk>
Date: 25 Mar 2003 07:13:18 -0800

Hi - I am using Crystal Decisions Seagate Info 7.5, connecting to an Aspect ACD switch.

I have installed Oracle Client 8.1.7 and the Oracle ODBC driver (downloaded from Oracles site).

I've setup the connection to the database, and the IP and name appear in my hosts file. They also appear in the TNSNAMES,ora file as:

myCon.mycompany.CO.UK =
  (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =

      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = myCon)(PORT = 1521))     )
(CONNECT_DATA =

      (SERVICE_NAME = ACC)
    )
  )

I can use TNSPING myCon and it is successful. When I try to log on to the connection through Seagate though, I get the list of ODBC connections, click on myCon (which correctly shows the ORacle ODBC Driver Connect box, with the service name, and the logon id - all I should do is enter the database password, and I should then be able to access the tables in the database.

However, when I enter the password and hit enter, I'm presented with the Windows Select Data Source box, asking for me to select a machine data source, or file location - when I click again on the machone data source for my connection, I get the error message:

ODBC Error:[ORacle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-12505: TNS:listener could not resolve SID given in connect descriptor

...which I find strange as the TNSPING worked.

Can anyone provide any insight as to what I may be doing wrong?

Many thanks,

Mark Tait Received on Tue Mar 25 2003 - 09:13:18 CST