[Help] Becoming a DBA - where to begin?

From: Scott Ehrlich <se_at_panix.com>
Date: 22 Mar 2003 10:18:56 -0500

I am a full-time System Administrator who enjoys working in a heterogenious environment of UNIX, Microsoft, and Macintosh platforms, mainly as a desktop support person. I graduated from college in 1996 and have been doing this professionally since. My introduction to computers was back in the 4th grade on Apple II Pluses. I really don't do any programming.

I'm now gaining interest in learning about what is involved in becoming a Database Administrator (DBA). I'm in the Boston, MA area.

Is certification alone ok? Are there any accredited degree programs?

What are the real differences among becoming Oracle, Informix, and/or SQL certified?

Is there any kind of generic dba credential which can encompass everything?

Any websites, email lists, etc would be very helpful, too.

Looking to educate myself in the dba world.

Thanks for any leads.

Scott Received on Sat Mar 22 2003 - 09:18:56 CST