Re: is learning MS access beneficial to learn oracle and sql server?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 03:06:58 GMT

Just a comment from my experience ...

  1. Every MS Access project I have seen in the 'corporate' world has either been retired (temporary use) or ultimately been re-written to allow multiple simultaneous accesses. Unfortunately, in every case, the base design in Access was poor enough to require a complete redesign and I am not aware of any reuse of any piece (code or dictionary).
  2. In many cases, MS Access 'coders' have been 'super users'. While frequently the results are acceptable, there is frequently a difference in the final product between your typical competent amateur and a professional. The difference can generally be found in areas such as maintainability, security, documentation. I'd be concerned about being labled a super-user instead of a developer.
  3. Although a design could, in theory, simply be transported to SQL Server or Oracle, doing so will generally result in project failure or cost overrun, simply because 'reasonable' MS Access design is generally done for straight-path single/few-user functionality. When the need for real error handling, multi-user, data volume scalability and/or security arises, inevitably a typical MS Access design devolves to a prototype for a 'commercial' system.

So my view of the answer to your question is as follows:

Yes, learning MS Access is beneficial, in that it can give you a method of development for small organizations or of rapid prototyping. However you can not expect to take the technical lessons learned and apply them directly to the larger commercial RDBMSs without a lot of additional study.

If, however, you plan or desire to earn your living in a larger corporate environment, then there are many, many other paths to take. I would encourage you to look at the 'Database Administrator's Guide' part 1, of the Oracle Documentation (free - start at http://technet.oracle.com or http://otn.oracle.com, register, go to 'Documentation' link) as one of the first chapters has probably the most general (and useful) definitions of a 'database administrator' I have ever seen. This definition is applicable whether you plan on administering, developing, maintaining or using and is relevant regardless of DBMS.

FWiW
/Hans Received on Fri Mar 21 2003 - 21:06:58 CST