Re: is learning MS access beneficial to learn oracle and sql server?

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 19:53:04 GMT

amanda wrote:
> Hi,
> Please bear with me.

[]

> Later, I took a graduate level database course (DBMS), very
> theorectical and so I am thorughly familiar with relational databse.

This one class will be worth more and more to you as time goes on. Really understanding the concepts will help tremendously.

[]

> I am asking because I don't want to buy books and then not used while
> I am overwhlemed with what to learn on my own. I have so many books
> some of which I tounched only a few pages once or twice, like "Regular
> Expressions". Now..it is time for me to learn systematicllay instead
> of buying books after books, not that I have any more money.
>
> Any suggetsion on how I should go about "establishing good Databse
> skills" would GREATLY be appreciated.
>
> Amanda

  ACCESS is a nice gui tool, and it does work on small data sets. But as I mention in another posting, I suggest you learn ORACLE or SQL Server. ACCESS is a nice gui tool, and it does work on small data sets. But real database power is not in ACCESS.

Get ORACLE to learn, it's free (for training).

BTW, you'll find use for that Regular Expressions book when you migrate to LINUX from MS Windows and start learning UNIX script languages like PERL.

HTH
   Ed

--
Ed Prochak