Re: new to databases

From: Gabriel Gonzalez <no-spam_at_no-spam.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:01:59 -0800

Well, you're in luck. You have many options with Windows.

Nowadays mostly I only use desktop databases for embedded systems. I use dBase files via a library called CodeBase. In embedded systems I do not use indexes as those tend to get corrupted more easily than data files, and fortunately, the extra time it takes to do lookups does not affect the system. This data format is also fairly portable, as I have seen dBase libraries on many platforms (even the CodeBase library I mentioned has versions for Linux/UNIX).

The most popular desktop database (I think) for Windows (and only for Windows as far as I know) is MS Access. In my opinion (and experience) this is the easiest desktop database to use, but by far the most prone to corruption and plain bloating (it grows for illogical reasons, such as just by opening the file). I really do not recommend that anyone use Access files, but it's a free country, and those consulting bucks from converting Access-based systems sure do come in handy!

Anyway, you have many options open. If you need more help, just ask again. Received on Thu Mar 20 2003 - 13:01:59 CST