Re: new to databases

From: Neil Robertson <nc_robbo_at_powerup.com.au>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 21:12:46 +1000

I suggestion I have in the design of your application would be to use MS Visual Studio .Net. I had to do a VB .Net assignment last year where the front end was a web form for people to register as new blood donors. Aftter users registered, it would update their details to an MS-Access database that would be sitting on the back end. You can design apps written in C++ using Vis Studio .Net. (We also had to create a library terminal catalogue in C++)

Neil

"david nathan katcher" <dkatcher_at_students.uiuc.edu> wrote in message news:Pine.GSO.4.31.0303192144300.26611-100000_at_ux12.cso.uiuc.edu...
> Thanks for your help so far. I think oracle might be overkill for what I
> am trying to do. I have around 5000 records. What I need is a way to
> organize these records. I need to use C++, along with openGL, to
> manipulate this data and then produce a visualization from the data. So I
> am looking for best (i.e. easiest) way to bring this data into my program
> to do calculations with it. I figured that since my dataset is around
> 5000, a database would be the best way to go.
>
> Thanks,
> David Katcher
>

> On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Gabriel Gonzalez wrote:
>
> > > how exactly this database is stored. For instance, if I need to run
this
> > > program on a computer that does not have oracle, is it possible to use
> > > this database? (i.e. is there a way to have the database created and
not

> > Not unless you are connected to the db somehow (via some network link
that
> > transports TCP/IP, or another supported protocol).
> >
> > > not possible, would I be better off using Access, which is more
> > > available?(Also, is it possible with Access to write embedded SQL and
pull
> > > info from Access databases?) Thanks for the help.
> >
> > Depends on what you want to do.
> >
> > Oracle's more for "bog" stuff. Lots of data (where "lots" is more than
> > [more or less] 200,000 records. This is a _very_ subjective figure, but
> > it's ball-park), lots of users, lots of transactions, very high
> > availability, extremely robust. With Oracle (and other bid DBs) you
never
> > modify the data files directly. You always talk to the RDBMS programs
> > running on the server, even if you are running the database locally.
These