Re: I should report this egotistical response I received

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 19 Mar 2003 15:25:46 -0800

amanda (amanda94621_at_yahoo.com) wrote:
: ab3002_at_hotmail.com has sent me an email saying this:

: <<
: Cross posting is very bad. Do not post to multiple groups.

Oh hogwash. Cross posting is fine, that's the official word from the various faqs posted in various new.[admin...] groups. Also, if a reader uses a sensible reading tool then they do not need to read the article multiple times.

All the below is quoted (except my intros)

For example

    : Subject: Rules for posting to Usenet     : Newsgroups: news.newusers.questions

    : Usually, it is sufficient to post any article to a single newsgroup;
    : ... If the article
    : is really relevant to multiple newsgroups, then "cross-post" to the
    : relevant newsgroups...
      (snip)

    : ... Furthermore, users with
    : "smart" newsreaders will see the article only once.

For example (Note that the faq itself is cross posted!)

        : Subject: FAQ: Current Usenet spam thresholds and guidelines
        : Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.bulletins,
        :       news.admin.net-abuse.usenet,
        :       news.admin.net-abuse.sightings,
        :       news.admin.net-abuse.misc,
        :       news.answers

The following is also quoted from various news groups faqs (I forget which)

: Cross-posting means that a single message appears in more than one group.
: Most newsreaders allow you to specify more than one group in a posting.

: Excessive Crossposting (ECP) refers to where a "lot" of postings to more
: than one group each have been made.

: Some people think cross-posting is "bad". In and of itself, it's good
: behaviour - it allows you to reach more groups with less impact on the net.
: Especially if you set the Followup-to: header to one group.