Re: new to databases

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 13:38:20 -0800

david nathan katcher wrote:

> Ok, I am very new to all of this database business, so if I am not making
> sense just bare with me. What I am doing is writing a C++ program using
> embedded SQL to pull in data from my database. What I am confused on is
> how exactly this database is stored. For instance, if I need to run this
> program on a computer that does not have oracle, is it possible to use
> this database? (i.e. is there a way to have the database created and not
> be connected to oracle to use this database in my C++ program)? If this is
> not possible, would I be better off using Access, which is more
> available?(Also, is it possible with Access to write embedded SQL and pull
> info from Access databases?) Thanks for the help.
>
> David Katcher

Not to insult you ... but you'd be best off to learn something about database concepts and database architecture. I understand what you are asking but your questions, from the standpoint of databases are things I expect my students to know before they take my classes.

The underlying architecture of database products is different. SQL that works in MS Access or MS SQL Server will be useless in Oracle or DB2 or Informix. It may work but I wouldn't bet on it.

The best architecture is to NEVER embed SQL in a C, C++, or Java program. The SQL belongs in the database in packages, procedures, and functions executed by the front-end. It gives better performance, better tuning, and the ability to write a database-neutral front-end.

Get a good elementary database basics book and go to http://tahiti.oracle.com for Oracle specific concepts and architecture docs.

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed Mar 19 2003 - 15:38:20 CST