Re: unable to set time zone

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 22:57:15 +0300

Hmm... It appears that Oracle guards us dumb admins against changes to the database that can lead to wrong results and disallows altering the database time zone if there's a single table with a column of TIMESTAMP WITH LOCAL TIME ZONE type in the database. Changing the db time zone will result in wrong interpretation of data stored in such columns - and Oracle rightfully denies our rash request. Thanks a lot for saving us pour souls from big trouble this dumb move could cause (as if we were not warned about the consequences in the docs). :)

Here's a query to find offending columns: select u.name || '.' || o.name || '.' || c.name TSWLTZ_column   from sys.obj$ o, sys.col$ c, sys.user$ u

 where c.type# = 231
   and o.obj# = c.obj#
   and u.user# = o.owner#;

ML note #230099.1 note says that as soon all offending columns are removed, you will be able to change the db time zone. No idea how to preserve existing data though - will EXP and then IMP with new time zone in place properly convert the tz of exported data to the new dbtz? Gotta try this out... Or maybe there's a simpler solution?