Re: is learning MS access beneficial to learn oracle and sql server?

From: amanda <amanda94621_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 19 Mar 2003 10:40:08 -0800

"Volker Hetzer" <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org> wrote in message news:<b59vd7$mu$1_at_dackel.pdb.sbs.de>...

> What background exactly? You've done normalization, exercises with it?
> You feel that ypu've understood what relations are, how tables model
> them and can do relational calculus?

 I took DBMS that is grad level course. I also took junior level course designed for students like me: "Datastructure Structure and Database Design" but like I said, prof. taught nothing (he was recovering from quadryple bypass surgery) but for the databse part, he gave an assignment to do create table and insert values.

> > I am asking because I don't want to buy books and then not used while
> > I am overwhlemed with what to learn on my own. I have so many books
> > some of which I tounched only a few pages once or twice, like "Regular
> > Expressions". Now..it is time for me to learn systematicllay instead
> > of buying books after books, not that I have any more money.
> >
> > Any suggetsion on how I should go about "establishing good Databse
> > skills" would GREATLY be appreciated.

> Can you afford the oracle university?

 I spent all my money in school as I paid out of state tuition fees (and unexpected medical bill while not being able to do any work) until now. Now I get instate tution fees which is 1/3 of out of state fees.

> Any other tough lessons? In germany everybody is free to sit in at
> lectures and listen (exams and getting titles are different, of course).
> Can you do that where you live?

  No..here everythings take money.
 Thanks for asking. I will be fine.

I just wanted feedback from people who has more knowledge and skills. I appreciate all the feedback.