Re: is learning MS access beneficial to learn oracle and sql server?

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 15:38:31 +0100

"amanda" <amanda94621_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:bbea23b7.0303181053.9a25edd_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi,
> Please bear with me.

No problem here... :-)

> What I would like to do is get serious skill in using Oracle Pl/SQL
> as well sql server's stored procedure (not as a DBA but as someone who
> can pick things up so that I can find a job). I have taken Java, Basic
> C++ - like C, Visual Basic, and plan to take a Unix course at a
> community college.
>
> I am not proficient in use of MS Access except for creating basic
> tables.
> Should I get a book on MS ACCESS (I have 2002 software) and if so,
> what book if you know and do some exercise before getting serious on
> SQL langauge, etc. Remembr that I have already learned "Intro do SQL
> and very basic PL/SQL" and have theorectical background.
What background exactly? You've done normalization, exercises with it? You feel that ypu've understood what relations are, how tables model them and can do relational calculus?

> I am asking because I don't want to buy books and then not used while
> I am overwhlemed with what to learn on my own. I have so many books
> some of which I tounched only a few pages once or twice, like "Regular
> Expressions". Now..it is time for me to learn systematicllay instead
> of buying books after books, not that I have any more money.
>
> Any suggetsion on how I should go about "establishing good Databse
> skills" would GREATLY be appreciated.

Can you afford the oracle university?

Any other tought lessons? In germany everybody is free to sit in at lectures and listen (exams and getting titles are different, of course). Can you do that where you live?

Greetings!
Volker Received on Wed Mar 19 2003 - 08:38:31 CST