Re: net 8 programs not running in win 2000 pentium 4 pc

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 19 Mar 2003 06:30:21 -0800

harishksh_at_yahoo.com (harish) wrote in message news:<ff46df6e.0303182045.790f60b3_at_posting.google.com>...
> I have installed oracle 8i Release 2 (8.1.6) for Windows NT on my
> window 2000 Professional PC. When i first tried to run the setup, it
> did't run i.e it did't show any installer screen. Then i learn from my
> friend that, we have to rename symcjit.dll file to symcjit.old to run
> the setup. Then i copied the contents of the oracle 8i CD to my hard
> disk and changed the extension of the symcjit.dll ( it's path is
> /stage/components/oracle.swd.jre/1.1.7.24/1/datafiles/expanded/jre/win32/bin/symcjit.dll)
> file to symcjit.old.
> while installing, i did't face any problems. after installing oracle
> 8i, when i tried to open oracle universal installer or net 8 assistant
> or net8 cpnfiguration assistant it is giving an error message stating
> that
>
> "Jrew.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will
> need to restart the program."
>
> And i learn that thses programs will not run pentium 4 PC having win
> 2000 Opearting System, is it true?.
>
> Now how to make thses programs run?

There are 3 separate fixes for the installer not running on a P4 machine:
Here is the full version of the fix you tried, perhaps the second part will fix your problem:

2.

  1. Copy the content of the Installation to a temporary folder on the harddisk, rename ALL copies of file 'symcjit.dll'
  2. Go to folder \install and edit file 'oraparam.ini' (attention: write protection) and change parameter JRE_MEMORY_OPTIONS to JRE_MEMORY_OPTIONS=-nojit -ms16m -mx32m
  3. Start the installation again

If not, you might want to consider getting a newer version of Oracle; if you want to use 8.1 you should at least be using 8.1.7. By the way, fix 1 is a patch to the 8.1 installer, and fix 3 is to use the version 9 installer.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Mar 19 2003 - 08:30:21 CST