select question

From: music4 <music4_at_163.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:57:39 +0800

Dear Oracle Experts,

I have this problem for a long time. I use Oracle 8.1.5, since license is cheap.

My application have a busy loop to read from database, just like following:

//=====================

loop begin

select msg_id, ... from a_table where status = 0; // msg_id will be stored in a variable id

update a_table set status = 1 where msg_id = id;

hand the message to other threads to handle.

end loop

The update statement make me very headachy. Because update operation is very slow. But the update is necessary, otherwise select will read record that have been read out.

The msg_id field is a auto-count field. So I am considering to use range of msg_id to avoid duplicated selection, so that get rid of the update. But I am not sure if it works.

If you have any idea on this problem, please help me!

Thanks in advance!
evan Received on Mon Mar 17 2003 - 20:57:39 CST