Re: How are joins performed when using a database link?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 20:43:26 -0800

Don wrote:

> We are doing lots of data loads using database links and I need some
> advice.
>
> I have a part table and want to load all parts I do not have.
> Should I bring the entire table over to a temp table and then get the
> records that I want?
> Or should I join across the database link and pull back just the
> records I want?
>
> I'm not sure where the join is performed.
> If the entire table must come over and then join in memory on my local
> box it would probably be better to pull all the data first, then join
> in another query. But if it can somehow restrict the rows and send me
> just what I want it would be better to join accross the link and send
> less data.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Don

Without knowing what percentage of the records would be brought over and then ignored how can anyone help you?

My instinct would be that you only grab what you need.

But whatever happened to benchmarking? Why are you asking us instead of running a test?

Daniel Morgan Received on Sun Mar 16 2003 - 22:43:26 CST