Re: How do I decode the error message

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 11:46:06 -0800

Randy Harris wrote:
> One of my client systems gets an Oracle error when it attempts to access an
> Oracle database from any MS Access client. I tried reinstalling MS Office
> with no change. I think the problem is in the Oracle client software. It
> immediately gets an Oracle run time error (214746259). Where can I go to
> learn more about this error? I'm completely lost on how to resolve this
> problem.
>
> --
> Randy Harris

As ALWAYS, it helps immensely to know the OS, OS Version and Oracle version being discuessed.

It seems to me that while you know for sure that you have a problem, you don't seem to have a clue as to exactly where the source of the problem might reside. Therefore I suggest you attempt to do some troubleshooting.

I "assume" that you have the Oracle client s/w installed on your PC. I'd 1st get SQL*Plus or a similar software sucessfully accessing the Oracle database. This helps to ensure that Oracle & its listener are properly configured & functioning. Without this capability you are SOL. Come back after you've confirmed these work.

HTH & YMMV HAND! Received on Sun Mar 16 2003 - 13:46:06 CST