Help ? .... Installation of Oracle on Solaris 8 Sparc E250

From: Steve Pierce <spierce_at_sigecom.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 18:38:52 GMT

First of all, let me say I am new to both Solaris on Sparc and Oracle.

What is the best practice for installation of Oracle 8.1.7 on a SUN E250 dual USII 400 Mhz, 2 GB RAM, (4) 9GB internal, (4) 36 GB in a StorEdge D2 Array.

I learn very fast, but the only stipulations that the vendor has set is the following, and I would like to know if anyone has a similar setup or could help me make this work best in the long run.

First of all, my plan is to Mirror the internal drives disk 0 to disk 1 , disk 2 to disk 3, using Solstice DiskSuite 4.2.1 (we don't have the budget for Veritas VxFS right now)

What is the best way to slice up the Solaris 8 OE (on the internal disks) for Oracle ? Here is what my current plan based on my crash course in Solaris ...

Disk 0 (8.43 GB, mirrored to Disk 1)

/ 2 GB

swap                  4 GB

/var 2.43 GB (rest of disk)
/metadb1 25 MB (DiskSuite State database)

Disk 2 (8.43 GB, mirrored to Disk 3)

/app/$ORACLE_HOME 3 GB
/export/home 1 GB
/tmp 2 GB
/usr 1 GB
/opt 1.43 GB (rest of disk)
/metadb2 25 MB (Disk Suite State Database)

StorEdge D2 array (per the vendor's only recommendations)

Disk 8 ( 33.92 GB, mirrored to Disk 9)

/data1/home 1 GB (for specific vendor user scripts)
/data1/oradata 32.92 GB (rest of disk)
/metadb3 25 MB (Disk Suite State Database)

Disk 10 ( 33.92 GB, mirrored to Disk 11)

/data2/oradata all of disk
/metadb4 25 MB (Disk Suite State Database)

Will this work, or should I make some adjustments?

Thank you all for any input.

Steve Pierce
spierce_at_sigecom.net Received on Fri Mar 14 2003 - 12:38:52 CST