Re: problems connecting to an oracle database

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 12:45:54 +0000

Miguel Orrego wrote:

> I have just installed the oracle 8i client and configured a connection to
> a database that I know works because when I tested it in net8 the tests
> were successful.
>
> However when I try to connect from an asp page I get the following error:

The NET8 tests will be successful as they use ORACLE_HOME to determine where to find the OCI DLLs.

ODBC drivers do not use ORACLE_HOME - or at least, none of the 3rd party drivers I've used in the past.

They simply call the LOADLIBRARY() Win32 API call to load the DLL. Windows need to find it.

Windows looks at (in order)

- current directory
- WINDOWS Home (e.g. C:\WinNT)
- WINDOWS system (e.g. C:\WinNT\System32)
- DOS PATH

Thus, you need to make sure that you add ORACLE_HOME\bin to your PATH environmental variable, in order for the load library call in the ODBC driver to succeed.

Finally, some of these ODBC drivers support multiple Oracle versions. Oracle's OCI DLL names are not always the same. If this is the case, the ODBC Driver's setup window will allow you to point it to OCI DLL name that must be used (usually OCI.DLL - in the past it also included version and platform specifics as part of the name).

--
Billy