Re: Oracle2PostgreSQL Migration with PL/pgSQL

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 13 Mar 2003 11:34:36 -0800

DA Morgan (damorgan_at_exesolutions.com) wrote:
: Malcolm Dew-Jones wrote:

: > Pablo Sanchez (pablo_at_dev.null) wrote:
: > : DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in news:3E6F62B7.6597BC97
: > : @exesolutions.com:
: >
: > : > I think it more likely people might move from MS Access to
: > : > PostgreSQL than from Oracle. Simply because you don't buy Oracle
: > : > unless you need it.
: >
: > : I don't necessarily agree with the later. I think people want a
: > : secure DBMS that safely stores their information. They want to ensure
: > : that the product will be around and that they can find people to work
: > : in that arena. Of course they don't want to pay a lot of $'s across
: > : the board.
: >
: > I know some installations that have deinstalled some of their oracle
: > servers because of changes in license pricing. Oracle is still used, but
: > fewer people get access, more people simply get precanned reports, or have
: > to share/coordinate the limited on-line access.

: Since Oracle licenses by server ... the number of users is, or can be,
: irrelevant.

: Why not license on one server and connect the entire world right up until you
: have performance problems?

Good question, I have no idea, I just do what I'm asked several days a month on the systems to which I alluded. Recently and apparently for a little while to come it includes shuffling, removing, and replacing various logical entities, with just a high level english language description of why it is required.

I think your statement that "Oracle licenses by server" is not entirely true. Oracle licenses based on what ever historical agreement you had with them - so if you have a license with oracle from some years ago that locks in certain capabilities under certain conditions then the ramifications of upgrades and other changes becomes more complicated. Received on Thu Mar 13 2003 - 13:34:36 CST