Re: problems connecting to an oracle database

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:42:36 +0100

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 16:48:07 -0000, "Miguel Orrego" <miguel_at_stressedmonkey.net-nospam> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have just installed the oracle 8i client and configured a connection to a
>database that I know works because when I tested it in net8 the tests were
>successful.
>
>However when I try to connect from an asp page I get the following error:
>

>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle error '80004005'
>
>The Oracle(tm) client and networking components were not found. These
>components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle
>Version 7.3.3 (or greater) client software installation. You will be unable
>to use this provider until these components have been installed.
>
>Here's the connection string:
>

>.ConnectionString = "Provider=MSDAORA;Data Source=ITSM;" & _
> "User ID=; Password=;"
>
>Has anyone seen this before? We didn't restart the web server after
>installing the oracle client software as I didn't think that was necessary,
>as the server has shown it can connect successfully. Would it be necessary
>to give it a restart or can somebody help me pin this down to another cause?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Miguel.

Microsoft usually hardcodes the Oracle dll names in their software. This means you need to upgrade your Ole db provider or use the Oracle one
The hardcoded dll causing the error message has been renamed.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu Mar 13 2003 - 12:42:36 CST