Re: Any DBA here? How much Income Approximately?

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no.spam.yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 18:29:16 GMT

DA Morgan wrote:
> Jay wrote:
>

>>I am going to be a DBA, and I want to know something about the salary~
>>How much Income Approximately?
>>Thanks

> Ryan is absolutely correct. There is no such thing as a junior DBA in the
> real world. DBAs come from the ranks of senior developers and UNIX
> sysadmins.
>
> Are there exceptions? Yes! But too few to mention.
>
> Daniel Morgan

I'd be one of these exceptions I guess! :-)

I came over from a totally different line of work, and actually took a pay cut to become a DBA, actually DBA trainee is a better term. I had taught myself enough about sqlplus and oracle that the company thought I was worth taking a chance on training to be a DBA (and likely a lot cheaper) rather than hiring one.

In any case, both jobs I've held here pay me less than when I worked for myself 10 years ago, but I have stability, benefits, mondays I look forward to and fridays arrive before I know it! I've never regretted the decision.

But I do know a former co-worker who decided to take oracle training when he got hurt and could not continue his current job, he got his Oracle 8 cert, did a short stint(and loved it) on with the company he was with until they cut back their IT staff, he's now packing steel at a construction site for $10 hour and cant find a DBA job or anything even close to it.

hth Received on Thu Mar 13 2003 - 12:29:16 CST