Re: alias for database: howto

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 08:21:46 -0600

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 14:00:31 +0100, "Sönke Petersen" <sk.petersen_at_gmx.de> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I want to assign an alias to an existing Oracle database.
>The way I tried is to add an entry to the TNSNAMES.ORA file.
>Right now access is not possible.
>
>I think I have to restart the database so that the TNSNAMES.ORA
>is evaluated once again?!?
>
>Regards,
>Sönke

Wrong. The database is totally oblivious to the tnsnames file. TNSNAMES is used only by clients to resolve database 'aliases' to something the underlying network protocol and the listener can use. It is 'evaluated' by the client at every connection request.

"Access is not possible" conveys no useful information. What oracle error message (ora-nnnnn) are you getting? What does you tnsnames.ora, listener.ora, and sqlnet.ora files look like?

And very basic -- what version of Oracle and what OS? Received on Thu Mar 13 2003 - 08:21:46 CST