Re: Oracle2PostgreSQL Migration with PL/pgSQL

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:43:11 -0600

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in news:3e6f40d0$0$22005$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net:

> It may be because I'm just used to the feature, but one example that
> has already come up is PITR.

[ Just ideas below so I'm sure they're wrong and off the mark ... agree, disagree, it's all bubble gum for the brain. :]

Hi Niall!

I don't agree with the 95% replacement number but I do believe that there are many small/medium installations that would relish the idea of avoiding Oracle's (but really, _any_ DBMS vendor's) support costs and use a free system instead; provided that it's stable.

Sybase released, albeit a very old version, 11.0.3 of their RDBMS for free; you can develop and release product with this version without paying royalties. Later versions of their application don't follow this 'pricing' model. <g>

If there was a translator from PL/SQL to T-SQL, I think a lot more small-end market share would be moving to ASE. Postgres seems poised to be able to at least take some of the lower end market share from Oracle. Will they do it? I have no idea. PITR is definitely one item that some shops will need.

If memory serves, I don't think mySQL has PITR and there are many web applications using mySQL.

Personally, I think porting SQL Server to Linux is what Microsoft ought to do. Imagine the dustdevil that would kick up? <g>

Later!

--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
http://www.hpdbe.com