Re: Oracle2PostgreSQL Migration with PL/pgSQL

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:14:40 -0000

"Guido Stepken" <stepken_at_little-idiot.de> wrote in message news:b4mu0p$7sh$00$1_at_news.t-online.com...
> Under this aspect it is possible to bring postgresql back into everyones
> eyes when to choose a industrial strength database. PostgreSQL can
> replace oracle in about 95% (my personal estmation) of all
> installations. Sure oracle has features, all other databases don't have.
> Its not the question "which is the better one", but "which database is
> sufficient for my needs".

It may be because I'm just used to the feature, but one example that has already come up is PITR. I have a hard time believing that 95% of the businesses that run Oracle would be able to accept moving from a position where a system failure results only in loss of data from that point until the point at which the error is discovered, to a place where they had to go back to the last good backup tape. This would especially apply where users of the system were external to the owneres of the system, but then perhap;s postgreSQL isn't targetting web systems.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA