Another rule turning into a myth...

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:43:58 +0300

"Never collect statistics on SYS" - well, with RBO not being there in v10 this rule certainly will be invalid. But it seems that 9.2 already invalidates it (at least partially). An excerpt from 9.2.0.3 patch set release notes:

During upgrade from 9201->9202/9203 running catpatch.sql can take a long time if there are stats for the SYS schema. The user should delete the statistics on all the objects in the SYS  schema, and then re-collect the statistics after normal database open if necessary.
To me, this means that you can have stats on SYS without negative impact on performance in 9.2. Not that you *should* have them, but you *can* and this won't hurt. Any expert care to comment?