Re: Oracle2PostgreSQL Migration with PL/pgSQL

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:11:07 +0100

Guido Stepken wrote:
> Describing a certain bug always requires mentioning the exact version of
> software and code.
> I have heard of mysql 3.22+ crashing, seen oracle 8i and 9i crashing on
> ibm aix with raid hardware (ibms fault). There is always a way to crash
> any database, IMHO.
> Nevertheless there are installations with > 1-2 Terabyte out there,
> based on oracle as well as on postgreSQL 7.1+, sapdb, firebird (former
> interbase...). Postgresql IMHO is the only free database, which is
> suited to replace oracle, due to its pl/SQL compatibility.
> Being delivered with source makes it much easier to debug and correct
> bugs in case of a crash.
>
> tnx to all, who have sent code, hints, experiences to my adress at
> stepken @ little-idiot.de ....
>
> i am quite optimistic, that the migration handbook will soon do very
> serious harm to oracle's sales volumes......my mysql handbook (sorry,
> only in german, still, published in 1999) did it's purpose very
> well.....mysql is #1 in germany now for small databases.....
>
> Oracle changed its sales policy.....resellers can offer oracle for about
> 1.600-1.800 Euros/US$ each......what a price reduction, compared to cpu
> licenses.....the only condition is, that oracle must be sold together
> with a application....
>
> regards, Guido Stepken
>
> Volker Hetzer wrote:
>

>>> PostgreSQL IMHO more and more becomes a Oracle killer. Worth, writing a
>>> small book about it ;-)
>>

>> Last time I tried I crashed it twice in one day. Seems, postgres'
>> response to faulty
>> sql is not an error message but a crash with data corruption.
>>
>> Sorry, but nothing doing here.
>>
>> Greetings!
>> Volker

<rant>

Stop x-posting Mr 'rent-a-database'!
More Marketing blah-blah to follow "What I build is #1 in Germany"? For small databases, hmmm. Define small. Smaller than what I could put in an Access "database"? Big deal.
</rant>

You seem an Open Source/Linux fan - fine with me. But realize that there are some mighty fine products out there, far better than PostgresSQL, just as (most of us) realize the potential of Linux. It *has* the potential to become an enterprise class o/s. Maybe the same for mySQL or PostgresSQL.
But not now - and it certainly isn't an Oracle killer.

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel