Re: newbie question

From: Boris Carlos <bp_at_airtel.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 08:46:15 +0100

Thanks to the two of you for your help I really appreciate it. I'm reading the administration guide and am getting into it (this is hard compared to SQL Server 2000).

One last question please?

I can start the database if I do:
SQLPLUS /nolog
connect / as sysdba
startup

but if I run the dbstart script (it does the same) I get an error
database "prb0" configuration file not found

any ideas?

Thanks

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> escribió en el mensaje news:3e6cbc69$0$6296$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net...
> "Valentine Gogichashvili" <valgog_at_biofrontera.de> wrote in message
> > To say the truth, is will be faster for you to read the Administration
> Guide
> > first :) but I will try to answer some questions of yours :-)
> >
> > > I have been working with SQL Server 6.5 and 2000 for about 3 years
> and
> > > starting to use oracle (installed it the weekend) and encountered a
few
> > > problems (I'm sorry if these seem stupid questions but I am new to
> > > Oracle) -- 9i release 2 redhat linux 8 ---
> > >

> > > 1.- I install oracle OK (create the groups, the oracle user, tweak
> > > memory of kernel) but when I tried to connect with SQLPLUS I get a
> Oracle
> > > not available. So I configured another port with Oracle network
> > > configuration and It now connect ok. Is this normal or something going
> > > wrong?
> >
> > For sqlplus to connect it first needs to know wich instance it connects
> to.
> > So you have to set the environment variable ORACLE_SID for that.
> > It also can use the tnsname that is stored in
> > ${ORACLE_HOME}/network/admin/tnsnames.ora
> >
> > firt try to "tnsping" the instance

> small, but not insignificant correction. TNSPING does not ever communicate
> with the INSTANCE it talks to the LISTENER to see if it knows a way to
> connect to the instance. This is of course why a successful tnsping does
not
> guarantee a successful db connection.

> > > 3.- I hear there is an Oracle Enterprise manager (like SQL
Server's
> > one)
> > > where is it located?, I looked in the bin directory and can't find it
(I
> > > installed the database and client tools of the oracle 9i2 cd's)
> >
> > it is usually installed by default. As it is the java aplication you
> should
> > run it using "oemapp" application.
>

> Don't expect OEM to have the functionality/usability of the SQL Server
> offering. :(

> > > 4.- Is there any (integrated or third party) tools to create
stored
> > > procedures like SQL server's query analyzer, is there any tool like
SQL