Re: SQL case statement

From: Charlene <charlene_ml_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: 10 Mar 2003 23:31:23 -0800

> > I'm failing in getting Oracle to accept a CASE statement that returns
> > back multiple rows. Seems a simple concept to me but I guess that CASE
> > can only return one row.
> >
> No error messages, no version.
> So how do you expect to get any useful reply?
>
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Sometimes you can give *too* much information.

Even without knowing the version or error message, I gave enough information to make it obvious that I wanted multiple rows back from a CASE statement.

And anyone that knows Oracle will know that the CASE statement in SQL just cannot do that - whether its version 8, 9 or dot (no?), any other info would be superfluous.

So, I'd like to say thanks to the guru who did fall into that category of knowing Oracle and e-mailed me the answer because it had me stumped.

And I hope that my posting the solution will provide some value to someone searching with the same problem in the future.

Charlene Received on Tue Mar 11 2003 - 01:31:23 CST