Re: Oracle2PostgreSQL Migration with PL/pgSQL

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:06:36 +0800

> Wot? The darn thing *STILL* can't recover properly????

It can recover (REDO) fine, but you can't 'roll forward' from a backup + log files until this next version.

> One would think it would have downed on the "stonebrakers" by now
> that recovery is an essential requirement for a real database...
> Oh well, another 10 years free development should cure that!

Tell that to the .org people, .org is run entirely off PostgreSQL.

> If not Oracle marketing, I'm sure IBM or M$ marketing
> will gladly step in. Heck, with a bit of luck Gerstner's
> successor might even buy the darn thing outright. Just to
> piss Larry off on the market size ratings.

If not, then narrow minded Oracle zealots could also do the job...

> > Not sure how Oracle's marketing teams are going to work against a
> > product based on a no-profit-needed-in-order-to-thrive business model
> > though.
>
> Now, THERE is a business model that in the last couple of years has
> proven itself to be a REAL winner....

For the COMPANIES that try to sell FREE software, not the software itself.

> Great. Do come back then.

Why so much resistance? Why don't you want a free version of Oracle? Why do you want to actually pay money to run internal development databases? Why do you want to pay money for a web backend? Please advise.

Chris Received on Tue Mar 11 2003 - 00:06:36 CST