Re: oracle bulk loader

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 10 Mar 2003 20:37:03 -0800

david nathan katcher <dkatcher_at_students.uiuc.edu> wrote in message news:<Pine.GSO.4.31.0303092238010.18241-100000_at_ux8.cso.uiuc.edu>...
> I am trying to load a large amount of data into my database. The problem
> is that it is not formatted well. I ran a script to pull the data from the
> website and it is in a text file like this:
> Nov 22-W vs. Mt St Marys 84-60
>
> I want to read Nov 22 into one column, vs into another, Mt St Marys in
> another, 84 into another column, and 60 into one more. I am not sure how
> to do this other than by fields terminated by 'whatever'. Since all fields
> are terminated by different ways, is there anyway to do this?
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> David Katcher

In Sql*Loader, you would have to specify the field terminator, be it a Pipe, Comma or whatever. Either you have to modify your file into a proper delimited one or better yet, modify your extract script to create a proper delimited file.

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Mon Mar 10 2003 - 22:37:03 CST