Re: HELP! Default date format in SQL*Plus isn't dd-mon-yy!

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 19:54:52 +0100

R wrote:
> "Volker Hetzer" <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org> wrote in message
>

>>"R" <R_at_R.R> wrote in message

>>>What my problem (now resolved) was that I was not entering the ALTER
>>

> SESSION
>
>>>statement correctly to set the NLS parameters. I was trying:
>>>
>>>   SET NLS_variable = whatever
>>>
>>>and
>>>
>>>   ALTER SESSION NLS_variable = whaterver
>>>
>>>but it's actually
>>>
>>>   ALTER SESSION SET NLS_variable = whatever
>>>
>>>I'm finding Oracle to have the most inconsistent command structure that
>>

> I've
>
>>>ever seen!
>>
>>What's wrong with it?
>>That command line says that there are (or might be) several ways of

> altering
>
>>a session and setting variable is just one of them.
>>Therefore the "ALTER SESSION SET ..." makes sense.

> It just seems to have no structure... sometimes SET needs an "=" symbol to
> assign a value, sometimes not. The BREAK command separates its parameters
> with "ON" instead of commas. When insert data into multiple tables at one
> time you can't use the native column names... you must specify alias' for
> them. To clear the format on a column it's "COLUMN CLEAR..." but to clear
> all columns its "CLEAR COLUMN"
>
> Finding any kind of help on the Oracle website is just insane. With all the
> icons that the Oracle install puts into my start menu it would make sense to
> include some kind of command reference. Oracle documentation is worse than
> Microsoft documentation!

You are confused. You mix SQL, PL/SQl and SQL*Plus. As you are a student, you are forgiven.
You mix the Evil Empire with the Holy Grail of Oracle (tm) on an Oracle ng - you shall be flamed for that.

Oh, and before you start about the unclear difference between USER_, ALL_, and DBA_ views: USER is what a you, as a user, owns, ALL is what you, as a user, can see (yes, that includes that what you do not own), and DBA is all there is in the Universe of Oracle (tm), aka data dictionary.
Very clear - but then again, I find EE(tm) products hard to understand.

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel