Modify Rollback segment for backup process.

From: C Chang <cschang_at_maxinter.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 12:18:23 -0500

I have several audit type tables on my database. I am archiving them SAMI-ANNUALLY (did once). I transferred part of records into another temp table using

     CREATE TABLE..<archive_table> NOLOOGING
       TABLESPACE <anther tablespace>
    AS
       SELECT * FROM <the audit table>
      WHERE timeStamp < date1;
     Commit;
Then
     DELETE FROM < the audit table>     WHERE timeStamp < date1;

    Commit;
Then back up the archive_table.

Until now, I have not seen problem. But after reading about the rollback segment question on AskTom web site, it raises a question. My concern is that because the size of the records deleted is close to 80MB on average ( some goes about 130 MB), do I need to modify my rollback segment just for this cause ? In askTom site, Tom suggests that changing the rollback segment to largest expected size of transaction. Otherwise, I might get the "rollback segment can not extend …" error in the DELETE action. My current rollback segment is defined

CREATE ROLLBACK SEGMENT R0
  TABLESPACE SYSTEM
  STORAGE (INITIAL 20K NEXT 16K MINEXTENTS 2 MAXEXTENTS 10); There are 10 rollback segments and all equal size.

And the DB is 8.1.6 on NT 4 ( 2x 750Mhz CPU) with 5x 8G HD.

C Chang Received on Sun Mar 09 2003 - 11:18:23 CST