Connecting Oracle 9iR2 (9.2.0.2) to Oracle 7.3.4 via Heterogenous Services

From: R. Carden <rcarden_at_email.usps.gov>
Date: 6 Mar 2003 09:39:06 -0800

Hello!

I need to connect an Oracle 9iR2 database to an embedded Oracle 7.3.4 database. I have discovered (as have many unhappy Oracle customers) that you can't connect directly from an 9iR2 database to a 7.3.4 database.

As a work around, I am trying to use the Heterogenous Services Generic Connectivity feature through ODBC to connect to the 7.3.4 database.

I have a test machine with the Oracle 9iR2 server installed on it along with the Oracle 8.1.7.4 client and ODBC driver.

I have set up an ODBC DSN for the 7.3.4 database using the 8.1.7.4 driver and can link to this database from the server with MS Access.

I then set up a dblink using generic connectivity and getting am getting an ORA-02068 error.

Has anyone tried this solution and been able to make it work? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Roger Received on Thu Mar 06 2003 - 11:39:06 CST