Re: Kanji Support

From: Richard <qaz1521_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 15:38:31 -0000

Andreas,

You can have two character sets in an Oracle database. The database character set defines the characters that can go in to CHAR and VARCHAR type fields and the national character set defines the characters that can go in NCHAR and NVARCHAR type fields.

If you have the database set to a Western European character set then you can't put Kanji characters into CHAR or VARCHAR. You could set the national character set to a Unicode character set then you could put Kanji into NCHAR and NVARCHAR fields.

If you want to use the context server to search LOB fields, this won't work and you will have to set the main database character set to a Unicode font. Context server cant search NCLOB fields.

Please send me an email if I can be of any further assistance. You can email me in German if this would be more convenient for you.

Best Wishes,

Richard