Re: Oracle9iAS Release 2 v9.0.2, please read me !!!

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 20:04:28 +0100

Lanying & Manfred Chen-Fischer wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've 9i 9.2 DBS and 9iAS Rel 2 9.02 CDs
>
> 1. any idea, where to find a very good book Oracle 9iAS Release 2 v9.0.2?
No - would be too soon, probably

> 2. I'm a IT teacher and want to check the Portal functions.
So noted

> 3. Is it possible to get the 9iAS and an Oracle 9.2 Sample database
> installed on one Win 2000 Server, SP3, 500 MB, 70 GB disk?
Hardly - 9iAS R2 comes with it's own 9.0.1 database - the installer starts complaining when you have 512MB or less memory, and you haven't even started installing 9i RDBMS...

> 4. Do you know a reliable and straight forward installation strategy in the
> internet?

If you are only interested in Portal, opt for R1. Not straightforward (you will need to run some patches, of which one or two are awkward, to say the least). You want to end up with 9iAS 1.0.2.2.2a, Portal 3.0.9.

Anything else: buy an extra machine, with 1GB memory, and install 9iAS R2 management structure there, alongside with 9iAS Portal Webserver. Install Portal procedures in the backend.

> Please help me, a poor old teacher in old Europe
>
> Lanying and Manfred

Yeah, right - I'm a poor old consultant in the same poor Europe.

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel